The longest wooden pier in Europe (511.5 metres), crossing the Sopot beach, is a great place for recreational and health walks (iodine concentration in the parts farthest into the sea is twice as big as on the land), and numerous festivities, as well as a cruise boats and water trams harbour.
The Pier (Molo)
635-metre long street closed to car traffic – currently it's a main promenade of this seaside resort. Since the 17th century, there was a dirt road in its place, connecting Sopot village and a fishing village by the sea. Both sides of the street are filled mostly with residential buildings since the turn of the 19th and 20th century. On Monciak there are mainly restaurants, cafes and clubs. During the summer season it is – apart from the King's Road (Droga Królewska) and Kościuszko's Square (Skwer Kościuszki) – the most popular place among the tourists visiting Tricity.
In 2002, K. M. Szotyńska Design Workshop won a main prize for the Competition of Great Dreamers (Architecture category) for this building's design. Its architectonic concept belongs to such unique pieces of art as those created by such artists as Gaudi, Hundertwasser or Gehry, and attracts tourists and architecture enthusiasts alike. At the same time, it's a part of Sopot's incredible atmosphere, created by Per Dahlberg or by Sopot's original events such as jazz parades, street revelries and by personalities such as the Umbrella man. The interior offers pubs, restaurants and shops.
Small momunet commemorating the "Umbrella man" - an incredibly colourful character, one of the most interesting persons living in Sopot during 1960-1990.
Built by Kajetan Sierakowski near the end of the 18th century, currently is the oldest completely preserved historical building in Sopot. Sierakowski family owned the mansion for only 17 years (1797-1814). During one of the summer stays, Antoni Sierakowski - son of Kajetan, was accompanied by his friend – 17-year old Frédéric Chopin, who came for a brief leisure. Since 1974, the mansion acts as a home for the Society of Friends of Sopot (Towarzystwo Przyjaciół Sopotu) who host a teahouse, art exhibitions, Thursday cameral concerts as well as readings of many sorts.
Classicistic Sierakowski mansion is one of the oldest buildings in Sopot. Currently – as a home to the Society of Friends of Sopot – is one of the most active centres of cultural life in the city. Ground floor still has some historical architecture elements: stoves from the end of the 18th century, a few ornamented double leaf doors, numerous metal fittings, stuccoed facades, a rose window and ceiling paintings. Room walls in the mansion serve as a gallery of contemporary art, hosting about 15 exhibitions a year. Every Thursday, at 6 PM, the mansion hosts cameral music concerts. Literary meetings are held there as well. Their guests included a French writer and illustrator, Roland Topor, as well as numerous excellent Polish poets and writers: Wojciech Wencel, Olga Tokarczuk, Jerzy Pilch and Andrzej Stasiuk.
In the cameral interior on the mansion's ground floor you can find ''U Hrabiego'' cafe, serving home-baked cakes, aromatic teas, coffees, desserts, cocktails and beers. The cafe is inexpensive, comfy and non-smoking (such places are a rarity in the Tricity). Open everyday from 10 AM to 10 PM, even longer on Fridays and Saturdays.
Built in 1904. Ernst Claaszen – its first owner – was the owner of a sugar exporting company and the American consul for the whole of East Prussia. After his death in 1925, his family sold the house. Currently it serves as a place for the Museum of Sopot, open for business since 2001. The institution has its centre at a historical villa, attractively located by the seaside promenade, near the Sopot beach. Villa was built in 1903 for a trader and entrepreneur from Gdańsk. Representative rooms on the villa's ground floor became a place for the exhibition of historical interiors, recreated thanks to archival photographic documentation donated to the museum in 2001-2003 by the first owner's daughter – Ruth Koch, nee Claaszen. The old bedrooms on the first floor now host the interchangable exhibitions. The Museum's attic, located about a dozen metres from the beach, at a touristically attractive coastal area, is one of the places often visited by residents of Sopot, Tricity and tourists. A restaurant was designed in the villa's old cellar.
Ernst Claaszen's Villa – Museum of Sopot
Costed 460.000 marks and was built during one winter of 1903-1904, according to Paula Puchmüller's and Heinrich Dunkel's design. It is a quaint building with a characteristic tower in a fairy-tale castle style. The Institute stands where the first dr Haffner's bathing place was. Over the main portal there is a sculpture by Fenzloff – a mermaid, a triton and the city crest. The chimney in the North-East corner, surrounded by the walls of a tower which resembles a lighthouse and with a glazed gallery on the top, is one of the most attractive view points of Sopot.
Built in Neo-Gothic style during 1899-1901, under the patronage of empress Augusta Victoria who donated 1000 marks. Emperor Wilhelm II added 2000 more marks, personally confirming the project and suggesting to make the tower 7.5m taller, letting it be seen by the ships in the bay. The church's consecration event on 17 September 1901, was visited by the German empress. The church belonged to the evangelicans till May 1945, when it was given to the Roman Catholic Church. Since January 1948, St. George's church serves as a garrison church.
St. George's Church (former Saviour's Evangelical Church)
Built in 1909 on Paul Walter Schaeffer's intiative, currently it occupies area of 4 hectares. Its auditorium may contain up to 4500 guests, and its orchestra pit – up to 110 musicians. In 1964, the auditorium was covered by a roof of 4000 square metres. For over 40 years, the Opera hosts the Song Festival (Festiwal Piosenki) and the Opera Festival (Festiwal Operowy), continuing the prewar tradition of Wagner Festivals, thanks to which, in the beginnings of the XXth century, Sopot had been known as Small Bayreuth.
The Stronghold (Grodzisko)
The fishing harbour is located in the southern part of the Sopot beach, by the mouth of Karlikowski Stream. Everyday, you can buy your fresh fish there and have a look at the exposition of typical boats and fishing equipment. Within the harbour's territory there is a chapel created in purpose of praying for the ''successful return from the sea''. In the past, there were a few fishing harbours in Sopot. The most recent one on the shore of Karlikowo is a continuation of the previous ones. This small fishing harbour is incredible because it's continuingly ''alive'' since the 13th century.
Only a handful of Sopot fishermen, merely six crews, survived till this day by the sea, working in unchanged pace and schedules. They sail in ''pomerankas'', traditional Cashubian boats – small, wooden, similar to those from the 14th century. The Fishing Harbour's fishermen are neighbours of the famous "Przystań" bar where you can always taste a fresh fish.
The brine drinking place, as well as the view point, are on the third floor of the Spa House. If you wish to visit this attraction, you should use the panoramic elevator next to the Balneological Institute. From the view point you can have a look at the Sopot Pier, as well as on the Gdańsk Bay. If the air is clear enough, you can also spot the Hel Peninsula. The brine drinking room offers water from St. Wojciech's spring, automatically flowing in Sopot from the depth of 800 metres. Diluted brine may serve as a supplement in cases of mineral salts deficiencies. Salt waters stimulate the secretory functions of stomach and pancreas, they are also recommended for gastrointestinal disorders and helpful for diabetics.
On the third floor there is also a Tourist Cafe, offering marvellous drinks and cakes. During summer season, view point, drinking place and the cafe are open from
9 AM to 7 PM .
Pump room brine and view point
This event hall is one of the most advanced places of this kind in Europe. It can sustain up to 15.000 guests! It hosts numerous sports events, music events and theatrical spectacles on the highest, world-class level.
Plac Zdrojowy 2
53 Bohaterów Monte Cassino Street
31 Bohaterów Monte Cassino Street
8 Poniatowskiego Street
1/3 Grunwaldzka Street
Plac Konstytucji 3 Maja
12 Moniuszki Street
Beach at the mouth of the Karlikowskiego stream
Plac Zdrojowy 2
Plac Dwóch Miast 1
The first Spa House with a ballroom was built in 1824. The second one was ready in 1881, and in 1909 it was deconstructed to build a third Kurhaus, according to Carl Weber's design. The House had ballrooms and restaurant rooms connected to the hotel and the casino. It was almost completely destroyed during the 1945's warfare. Only the rotunda survived. The fourth, current Spa House was ready to use on 1 July 2009. It hosts e.g. the National Art Gallery, a brine drinking place, restaurants, cafes and galleries.
The Spa House
Built during 1924-1927 for the guests of nearby casino - thus its former name, Kasino Hotel. Its visitors included e.g. Marlene Dietrich, Ignacy Mościcki, Charles de Gaulle and Adolf Hitler who had his headquarters there in September 1939. After the war, the hotel changed his name to Grand. Currently, the hotel is under the Sofitel brand, a French hotel chain under Accor group. In 1986, it was included in the register of objects of cultural heritage.
12/14 Powstańców Warszawy Street
The lighthouse was created in 1903, during the building of Balneological Institute, currently it's a part of the Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases. In truth, it's just a square-shaped former chimney of the boiler house, with a gallery and a tower built around it. After the World War II, it was decided that this place could work as a lighthouse. Navigational light was attached, and some time after, its range was enhanced. Thus, the chimney became a lighthouse, a one-of-a-kind situation in Poland. The light turns on automatically thanks to the twilight sensor and it's seen from the waters of Gdańsk Bay and from Hel Peninsula, from Bay of Puck side. It's not formally a lighthouse because of failing the necessary requirements – too short range. However, that doesn't mean it's not interesting and worth a visit. From the tower you can have a marvellous view of Tricity and Gdańsk Bay. In 2008, it was possible to renovate the spire which got lost, probably in the fifties during the navigational light installation. The tower is 39 metres tall and a spiral staircase leads to the top.
1-3 Grunwaldzka Street
The horse race track with bleachers and a plate was built in 1898 on the area of 50 hectares. Since 1899, the equestrian events started taking place there, including International and National Eventing. In 2009, the Hippodrome gained rights to host the most important event, The CSIO 3*** Official International Jumping Competition.
1 Władysława Łokietka Street
The aqua park is a sports and recreation place where everyone can find their own way to relax, spend some quality time or take care of health and beauty. Aqua Spa Sopot offers a wide range of treatments, and the only bowling place in Sopot offers six proffessional alleys. It's a place that provides tons of fun for many hours.
3-5 Zamkowa Góra Street
Built on the edge of South Park (Park Południowy) in 1907, according to Paul Puchmüller's design. Its a building with two towers and with ornaments referencing scandinavian style. It's located by the walking alley, really close to the Pier. In 1984, Southern Łazienki were included into the Register of objects of cultural heritage. Currently it hosts Chinese style hotel and restaurant.
Aleja Wojska Polskiego 1
The most famous among Polish beaches. Sopot beach attracts with its availability and attractions: playgrounds for children, sunbeds for sunbathing lovers and a lot of activities for sports fans. Another attraction is the Fishing Harbour by the mouth of the Karlikowski Stream, where you can buy a fresh fish, straight from the boat.
12 Józefa Czyżewskiego Street
63 Haffnera Street
Bohaterów Monte Cassino Street
The Sopot branch of the Archaeological Museum in Gdańsk – the “Stronghold” open-air museum – is the result of many years of archaeological research, leading to the reconstruction of an early medieval stronghold erected between the 9th and 10th centuries. The reconstruction includes a stockade, a gate, and five huts, built on the sites where historic relics were discovered. There is an exhibition of ancient crafts and weaponry. The Fort offers living history lessons and cultural events that promote knowledge of life in the Middle Ages. Visitors can attend demonstrations and workshops on pottery, blacksmithery, weaving, historical weapons, methods of combat, military drills, dances, as well as taste medieval cuisine.
In 2011, the Exhibition and Education Pavilion was completed, an initiative under the Regional Operational Programme for the Pomeranian Voivodeship 2007-2013, co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund.
The permanent exhibition in the pavilion presents the prehistory of Sopot. The building also serves as a venue for temporary exhibitions and scientific meetings whose theme is usually the history of Pomerania. Between autumn and spring, educational activities are organized for students.